This article will guide you through sending an e-mail blast using an email template with the [communicationprefsurl] tag.
- You should only have to do this for prospects and customers/members that existed prior to you activating the system email default of Communication Preferences Email. If you need steps to activate this click here.
- The email template will already need to have been created. Click here for an article to assist you with this.
1. Selecting The Desired Clients
To start narrowing down who will receive the email blast, click on the Prospect or Customer / Members tab.
To narrow the list of clients further, click on the FILTERS button. This is the 3 lines next to Lookup. This will provide you with options to narrow the search. Select any of the desired filters from the list of drop-downs. Keep in mind that your email blast will attempt to send to all of the names that are showing in the lookup list at the time you send your blast, so filtering will allow you to email a target audience.
2. Creating and Sending The Email Blast
Now that you have successfully filtered the list of clients click on the Email tab to continue.
Scroll down to the From field to see who the email will be sent from. Click the edit pencil to change this if desired. Next click into the text field for Subject to enter the subject line for your blast. The Email Template field will allow you to view or change the email template being used for your blast.
NOTE: Depending on the system email default used there may be an Attached field with an attachment. You will not be able to change the attached file on the blast screen. This can be changed in the email system default itself and not on this screen. You can access this by clicking on the Setup tab and selecting the System Emails option under Communication. To see if a system email default has the capability to add a file attachment you will need to locate the desired default and click the edit pencil. If you see the field optional email attachment and you may click the edit pencil to add or update the file attached to this email system default.
If you have saved any email content previously you can select this saved text from the drop-down that says Use Previously Saved Email. If the e-mail template includes the [content] tag you will have a text box appear with the basic editor features of bold, italics, underline and the option to add a web link. This will allow you to type a message to your clients. If you wish to paste text into this field we recommend you paste the content into notepad first and then copy from notepad to paste into this text box. This should eliminate characters that are only supported in a word processing program.
If you are going to send this out on a regular basis you can check the box for Save this content text to use again later. If you want to extend the client's access to their login area check the box for Extend expired logins when emailing.
If you check to over-ride and Send this email blast even to people who have opted out from emails it will include the clients that have opted out of receiving e-mails. This option is typically used for notifying clients of past due or collections status issues. This is not recommended and if you select this option you may be subject to fines depending on your state's regulations on unsolicited e-mail.
After you have finished creating the content for your email blast you now can send the blast. There are four options which may be beneficial under certain circumstances
Now - select this option if you want the email blast to be sent as soon as possible. There will be only a few minutes delay before the client receives the blast.
In 2 hrs or In 4 hrs - these options delay a blast by 2 - 4 hours.
Schedule It For Later Date - allows you to create your email blast days and schedule it up to 14 days by selecting a specific date. When you select this option your blast would be queued to be sent first thing the morning of the date selected.
Requirements - A 'Master Admin' login or a staff login with the following permissions.
- Member Management: Communication - Can email bulk members
- Member Management: Communication - Can change the default from email address for email blasts to members
- Member Management: Communication - Can change the default from email address for email blasts from the past due manager
- Member Management: Communication - Can use alternative email templates for past due manager email blasts
- Member Management: Communication - Can send emails to opt outs
- Member Management: Communication - Can use alternative email templates for customer email blasts